Fire Alarm Installer Technician
Responsible for installing, programming, maintaining and repairing of fire alarm wiring and equipment. Ensure that work is in accordance with relevant codes.
- Obtains pricing for materials in addition to obtaining bids from subcontractors.
- Adjusts sensitivity of units based on room structures and manufacturers’ recommendations, using programming keypads.
- Examines systems to locate problems such as loose connections or broken insulation.
- Drills holes for wiring in wall studs, joists, ceilings, and floors; feeds cables through access holes, roof spaces, and cavity walls to reach fixture outlets; then positions and terminate cables, wires and strapping.
- Inspects installation sites and studies work orders, building plans, and installation manuals in order to determine materials, requirements and installation procedures.
- Installs, maintains, or repairs alarm systems, alarm devises and related equipment, following blueprints of electrical layouts and building plans.
- Mounts and fasten control panels, door and window contacts, sensors, and video cameras, and attaches electrical and telephone wiring in order to connect components.
- Mounts conduits, fastens wires to wood framing, using staplers.
- Tests and repairs circuits and sensors, following wiring and system specifications.
- Tests backup batteries, keypad programming, sirens, and other alarm features in order to ensure proper functioning to diagnose malfunctions.
- Demonstrates system for customers, and explains details such as the causes and consequences of false alarms.
- Understands and applies the NFPA standards and converts MSFC to his/her workmanship.
- Must be able to work on call rotation.
- Attends department meetings as required.
- Photocopies documents and plans.
- Customer Service – responds promptly to customer needs, solicits customer feedback to improve service and maintains confidentiality.
- Oral Communication – speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
- Written Communication – edits work for spelling and grammar and is able to read and interpret written information.
- Planning/Organization – prioritizes and plans work activities and uses time efficiently.
- Quality – demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Adaptability – consistently attends work when scheduled and on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Safety – observes safety and security procedures and uses equipment and materials properly
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma with 3 years experience in electronic field. Knowledge of electrical theory, circuitry and wiring. Experience in Fire Alarm/Security Alarm installation preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
Read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos. Write simple correspondence. Effectively present information in a one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percentage and to draw and interpret graphs, schematics and blue prints. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations. The individual should have knowledge of computer usage.
Position requires the use of a Company vehicle, individual must have clean driving record for one year for insurance purposes.
Unregistered Power Limited Technician License, Certifications preferred include:
Manufacturer or brand certifications specific to industrial, kitchen and vehicle systems.